Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I HATE shots!!!

I hate shots. I always have and I always will. I hate seeing the needle and I could never look at the needle as it was entering someone's skin; either mine or some one else's. Which kind of sucks, since I'm a translator and I'm stuck in multiple doctor's rooms with the people I help while they are getting a shot or having blood taken. But I've learned to live through it.

However hearing that my husband would have to give me a hcg shot in the butt; would have to in fact make sure that the 2-3 inch needle went all the way in and oh by the way make sure that you don't hit an artery or he'll have to do it again; almost put me over the edge. So I IMMEDIATELY started thinking of a way around this. Yes, yes I knew I needed the shot and was actually was looking forward to the benefits to it. BUT I did NOT want my husband to give it to me. Can you blame me? Would you really want your husband to give you a shot that you have to worry about making sure that there are no air bubbles in the syringe, that it's injected into the right spot, that the needle goes all the way in quickly and that you haven't hit a vein or artery? Luckily my local after hours doc-in-a-box was more than willing to help me out. I did have my husband go with me so that he could see how it is done so just in case this doesn't work this month he might be able to give it to me next month.

So we go into the office and I hop up onto the table and pull down my pants and then get to proceed to hear the nurse teach my husband how to give me the shot. Oh my GOD!!! I thought getting the shot was going to be bad. Was I soooo wrong. What was bad was having to hear from the nurse the step-by-step instructions on how to give the shot. And no it wasn't a quick explanation (which I'm sure I'll be happy about later). It was an in-depth explanation with long pauses so that you can imagine the pain that was coming.

Finally it was time to get the shot. I'm covering my ears at this point because I could not sit there and listen to the explanation anymore. So the nurse is like "Are you ready? And do you want me to count down 1-3 or just do it?" I didn't think I could sit still through the countdown so I said just do it to get it done. By this point we had been in the doctor's office about 10 minutes and I was ready to bolt. I then proceed to wait and wait for the shot. I can hear the nurse saying something to my husband but I still have my ears covered. I'm starting to think she's never going to give me a shot when I realize the tiny pressure I feel on the outside of my butt is the shot. Who would have known that the shot that I had blown up and was deadly afraid of was going to be so easy to get and give? So much so, that my husband who before this said that he couldn't do it changed his mind and said from next month he will give it to me.

So if you're worried about the shot, don't be. At least for us it was pretty easy. I would recommend going to the after hours doc-in-a-box and asking if they can do it for you the first time if you're worried though.

No comments:

Post a Comment