Wednesday, August 22, 2012

About Me

My name is Tracy and I am a 39 year old woman who found out 5-6 years ago that I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome).  My sister called me up one day and said "oh, by the way, if you're having menstrual problems you might want to see a doctor about PCOS, because I was just diagnosed with it and there's a strong possibility that you have it, too." In a way I was lucky, because I pretty much knew I had it and didn't have to wonder what was wrong with me. The difficulty I had was finding a doctor to be serious about treatment. Most of them tried to push it under the table saying it wasn't that big a deal.

I was born and raised in Florida and then moved to Japan for 14 years when I was 19 years old. I then met my husband (yes, he's Japanese) and when he got transferred to the States I went slightly unwillingly to New Jersey for 2 LONG years. I hate the cold so me and New Jersey didn't get along so well. We then moved to Alabama about 4 years ago. It's still a little too cold for me but still it's better than New Jersey or Tokyo was.

The first Infertility Clinic I went to was in New Jersey and my main purpose was to verify if I really had PCOS or not. Their response after several tests was that I have a benign tumor on my pituitary glands which causes an increase in prolactin and that it appears that I might have PCOS. For those that don't know prolactin is a hormone that is created by the body in abundance when you are already pregnant. So my body thought it was pregnant. I've had to tell multiple doctors many that "No, I do not have breast milk coming out of my breasts. Yes, yes I'm sure about that." Because that is one of the side effects of it. Unfortunately shortly after being diagnosed, my husband found a new job in Alabama and we packed up and left. So not that much was able to be done at the first clinic.

Upon arriving in Alabama I immediately searched for a new clinic. I found a new gyno and got a recommendation on where to go. The second infertility clinic was the one I hated the most. There was a lack of communication, a lack of support and a lack of genuine feeling from the staff. Part of having PCOS is having irregular periods. Around this time I was only having them every 3-4 months. So when I went to the clinic I explained that I needed help with my PCOS infertility issues and that I wasn't having many periods. They proceeded to just keep telling me to call in when I had my period for testing. This lead to long gaps between tests and depression on my part. I had found a job that paid less than before so money was getting tight and it's hard to take time off of a new job for sudden medical tests. I ended up giving up on infertility programs for a couple of years due to the lack of support, money issues and time difficulties.

Fast forward to 2011 to where I am now suddenly translating for a Japanese family who had infertility issues. Her gyno was excellent. They were caring, informative and quick to respond to questions and concerns. I fell in love with them and wanted them for myself. Unfortunately I had to postpone my start until I could save up enough vacation days to be able to take off for the multiple tests. One of the hardest things I've had to do was translate for that family and see them get pregnant after only 2 months of treatment. There were many tears during this time; wondering when it would be my turn... if it would EVER be my turn. My plan was to start going to the doctor from January. However this got derailed when my brother-in-law (husband's younger brother) announced that he was getting married in July in Japan. So my hard earned vacation days got used for this and my infertility program get delayed until June.

In June 2012 I had my first round of clomid and then had to go to Japan and stay with my in-laws during my ovulation period. Not much intercourse was going on over there due to the paper thin walls in their houses. So it was a total bust.

I took my second round of clomid in the beginning of August and am on my way to try again. Hope springs eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment