Saturday, September 1, 2012

Hungry Girl Recipes are a PCOS Women's Best Friend

For those of you with PCOS you know that one of the major battles we face is with our weight. The first thing that was told to me by both of the infertility clinics was to lose weight. The second and current one was more specific. They told me that by losing just 10% of my body weight I could stabilize my menstrual cycle and improve my chances of getting pregnant. At the time I hadn't had a period for over a year. It was actually the longest I had gone without one.

I had tried to lose weight by exercise and diet in the past but I only lost a tiny bit and at times I gained weight. As you know, PCOS can make your metabolism stall and I while I was eating less than everyone around me, eating healthier than them and exercising I was still gaining weight. So for awhile I thought what was the use. So I pigged out on potatoes, pasta and bread. (Why do the things that taste so good have to be so bad for us anyway?)

However a 10% weight loss was something that I thought I could accomplish. So I started doing several different things. I tried several diet recipes but they seemed either bland or so freaking small that I was still hungry afterwards. I tried to exercise and I would lose a pound or two but then gain it right back. Then I found Hungry Girl. You might have heard of her on the Cooking Channel.

This is her:




She has a TV show on both the Cooking Channel and Food Network. She also has written many cookbooks along with a Supermarket Survival Guide. Plus you can see her recipes, tips and ideas on her website at: http://www.hungry-girl.com/

No, she's not a dietitian and no she doesn't create recipes for those of us with PCOS. She makes recipes for what she calls "Hungry Chicks." But the amazing thing about these recipes is that they are large volume and she tries to stick to whole grain whenever possible. There are also several recipes that try to reduce or eliminate potatoes in traditional recipes. So that means the many of her recipes are perfect for those of us with PCOS.

Some of my favorite recipes are:

S'mores Pancakes (using whole wheat flour)


 
Recipe can be found here:
 
 
Bake-Tastic Butternut Squash Fries (Substitute for french fries)
 
 
Recipe can be found here:
 
She also has 3 minute breakfast egg mugs that you can cook in your microwave even when you're running late. My favorite recipe for this is her All-American Egg Mug which has meatless or turkey sausage patty, egg substitute, sugar-free pancake syrup and cheese in it. It is so yummy and definitely worth a try.
 
Just in case you're wondering: I'm not affiliated with Hungry Girl nor do I get compensation in any way or form from her or her company. I just really enjoy her recipes and they've helped me to lose weight and feel full and happy eating them. So I wanted to share this with all of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment